Sunday, August 7, 2016

Bike Rides

So we're back in Louisville for a few days. One of the consequences of being released from the daily clinic visits is that I no longer have a daily readout of the various cell counts. The white cells and platelets were doing just fine last we heard, but the red cells were still lagging.

A couple of days ago, I grabbed my road bike and set out to see how that felt. I looped around the neighborhood for a mile or two, then headed for Seneca Park, which is reached by a very short (0.1) mile climb with a fairly steep (9%) grade. When I got to the top, I nearly collapsed, and had to lean carefully on the bike to keep from falling over while catching my breath. After I'd recovered, I reconsidered my ambition level, made another short loop in the park, and returned home, with one more hill climb of similar dimension, and similar result. I had honestly never had to stop to catch my breath after climbing a hill in Kentucky, and here I was totally destroyed by two hills that had barely registered in my consciousness in eight years of riding. So that's an indication that the erythrocytes still need some time to recover.

Today I scaled back my ambition, using the mountain bike to remind myself that I was not intending to go fast, and managed a few loops without having to stop for oxygen supplementation. Most of today's progress is probably the result of changing my behavior, rather than actual recovery, but at least there's some semblance of balance between my expectations and reality (for now).

6 comments:

  1. Rich, I hope you are doing better. Your blog speaks well of your humor and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the blog site, Rich. We are rooting for you. Hope that it will not be so long before you can ride all the hills in Kentucky! - Tomi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it, with sensible expectations. I'm glad you're doing well. I have a difficult time driving up a 9% grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that you at least got on a bike. More than I'm doing these days

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich, I am so sorry to hear about your illness. I am glad that you are well enough to ride a bike, although not strong enough to do all the things you used to do before. Keep building strength, and in time you will be able to ride all the hills in Louisville. - Tomi

    ReplyDelete