Thursday, August 15, 2019

N of one

It turns out that N-of-one trials are a thing. Back in the early days of this blog, I described the basic idea and naming principle--that my experience with treatment would be its own experiment, controlled to some degree by my pre- and post-treatment experiences.

I have been carefully recording many variables, but not quite with the rigor that would be required to do a formal trial. I've been focused on labs, and thinking about exposures, but haven't been good about recording exposures (diet, alcohol, probiotics, dog, travel, weather, etc.). I expect that, soon, N-of-one trials will answer lots of questions about how individual variation (in genetics, epigenetics, microbiome) interacts with exposures to make people sick (or not).

But the labs are good! Here's a picture, very much like the last (many) pictures, but produced by a website, all4cure.com, started by an oncologist who found himself diagnosed with multiple myeloma. The data transfers are definitely not as easy as they could be, but it's working, to what effect I'm not quite sure. The graphs are fairly nice, though.


I don't know how long this particular drug regimen will continue to be effective--no one does, because I was an early adopter. If Medicare and marrow continue to support it, I am not going to complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment