Saturday, July 9, 2016

Consolidated

Today was the step called "consolidation," for reasons that are unclear to me. It could be called "the day they give you an IV full of a mustard gas derivative in order to kill your bone marrow" but that would probably not be good for business. In any case, I have been served.

There are four different anti-nausea drugs, two antibiotics, one antiviral, and one antifungal. Apparently the nurses offer barbering services to make the hair loss less messy.

It takes a while for the Melphalan to work its magic, so at present I feel OK. I have a whole new set of rules from now on, including:

1) no toothbrush: I have little sponges-on-sticks, and I am to "brush" with saline.
2) no razor: electric only (yes, I do [did] shave)
3) no nail clippers
4) no deodorant, or anything scented
5) no walking barefoot, even indoors (also no shoes in the house, which makes it complicated)

As far as I know, I am still permitted to eat with a fork. This may be an oversight resulting from the fact that so many people seem to lose their appetite completely. Hasn't happened yet, I can report.

Tomorrow is a day off with just a quick check of blood counts, and Monday is transplant day (5:00 AM).
That's a lot to swallow (not including pain and nausea meds "as needed").

1 comment:

  1. I've read a little about the HTC procedure and Melphalan. Could you shed some light on how it is determined what optimum dose is, and how long to wait before introducing stem cells?

    ReplyDelete